Orange County Economic Development

Home Based Business Rules & Regulations

All jurisdictions within Orange County allow home occupations but have differing regulations regarding the type and intensity of uses. In all cases, houses in residential zones must continue to be primarily a home, and a place of business only as a secondary or minor use. Permits issued by the jurisdiction’s Zoning officer are required.

Business owners should clear any proposed Home Occupation with their local planning and zoning office before beginning. A full copy of each entity’s ordinance, an application, and other information are included.

Orange County Regulations/Application
Town of Carrboro Regulations/Application
Chapel Hill Regulations/Application
Town of Hillsborough Regulations


Back to Starting Up